[mythtv-users] 0.27: differences between two builds

Zig jzigpublic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 18:39:49 UTC 2013

On 10/2/2013 12:42 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 02/10/13 18:11, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi:  I've been running 0.27 on my laptop for a few weeks, and yesterday
>>> installed it on my main box.  I'm puzzled by the differences that I
>>> see.
>>>
>>> Both builds were from Richard Shaw's SRPM of 19 Sept; the laptop
>>> running SL6
>>> with extensions, the main box running Fedora 18.  Both have
>>> mythcenter-wide,
>>> usually running in a kde-managed 1024x576 window.
>>>
>>> On the laptop the WatchRecordings screen looks essentially unchanged
>>> from
>>> 0.26; when I fired up the main box that screen was virtually unreadable
>>> because of a FanArt background, which I have disabled by editing
>>> /usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter-wide/recordings-ui.xml, as
>>> suggested
>>> recently here.
>>>
>>> But there are other differences: I now have a 'disk usage'
>>> indicator, the
>>> recording starttime is quoted from the published schedule instead of
>>> system
>>> activity, no endtime is shown, some of the thumbnails are clearly
>>> download-based, and scrolling in the left-hand panel no longer goes
>>> in both
>>> directions from the starting point.
>>>
>>> The new screen is (now) crisp and attractive but I feel little need
>>> for the
>>> artwork downloads and preferred the old timing info and scrolling.
>>> Maybe
>>> I'll grow into it, but mainly I'm puzzled by the fact that the
>>> differences
>>> exist.  I haven't yet compared the theme files.
>>>

>> Why not? Virtually everything you mentioned is done in the theme.
>
> diff -rq MythCenter-wide_laptop /usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter-wide
> Files MythCenter-wide_laptop/recordings-ui.xml and
> /usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter-wide/recordings-ui.xml differ
>
> and that is the file I had edited to supress the fanart background
I am a mythcenter-wide user also.  The differences that you describe are
the differences between mythcenter-wide 1.6 and 1.7.  Perhaps the laptop
theme didn't get updated to 1.7?

I also noticed that on my machine, if I made a mistake editing
recordings-ui.xml in 1.7, the layout reverted back to the 1.6 look. I
don't know if that is expected behavior or something to do with my
themes cache.  Maybe the laptop's recordings-ui.xml is corrupted or has
an error in it.

  I too, have edited recordings-ui.xml.  I don't know much about
theming, but I managed to restored the ending time and fixed the cursor
so that it wraps around at the top of the recording list back to the
bottom like version 1.6 did.  I have not removed fanart, but have
considered it.

Also in 1.7 the start time was taken from when the listings said the
show started, not when the recording was actually started. Say you
started a 30 minute recording manually 10 minutes into the show. 1.6
would show 7:10pm - 7:30pm.  1.7 would show 7:00pm (and no end time).  I
changed 1.7 to show what 1.6 did.

If you want a copy of my recordings-ui.xml, contact me off list.
Ziggy