[mythtv-users] Can mythtv (or mplayer/xine through mythtv) upmix 5.1 sound in 6.1 or 7.1?

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Sat Oct 5 15:14:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 10:40:46AM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> > Digital. Otherwise 5.1 wouldn't work right either :)
>
> No, that's not the case.  That's precisely how "Pro Logic" surround
> sound works.  The audio from multiple channels are downmixed to only 2

You're right. I just never took that seriously. Maybe it works better than
I know.

> that involve first downmixing before upmixing.  That's what you really
> want to avoid.  If you've got a pure unmixed 5.1 signal and want to go
> to 7.1 or 6.1 that's not nearly as bad as when you're starting with
> something that was first folded down to 2.0.

Ok, that makes sense, so since I'm looking for a software solution that
would only upmix real 5.1 into 6.1, this hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

But this puts me back to square 1: I haven't found any alsa config to do
this, or any other way with mythtv (which I was just told there isn't inside
mythtv itself).

So, has anyone ever done this or know a config that could?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/