[mythtv-users] 0.27 and AirPlay

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 11:07:24 UTC 2013

On 9 October 2013 21:31, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
> Unfortunately I am now reminded why I didn't have the backend ipv6 address configured in mythtv-setup, my local frontend is ok but the remote ones are now extremely slow and flaky.
>
> Oh well, at least I'm further into the problem, looks like there's something not quite right yet with the ipv6 side, whether it's in my network configuration (it's the same with and without ipv6 firewall rules running) or something not right with Myth or MySQL.

Be careful when activating IPv6; all frontends will now attempt to
connect using IPv6. If the IPv6 address you've set is a link-local
address, it will most likely not work the way mythtv is handling the
address.

You would need to properly set it to a "real" IPv6, one that can be
accessed from all the local machine.

With link-local address, you need more than just the link-local
address; you also need to specify the network interface to use when
attempting to communicate. Otherwise, there's no way for the system to
guess which network interface the link-local address is on and it will
fail.

The mythtv current networking configuration do not currently allow to
set the ethernet interface alongside the IP address....

So in my experience, unless you have a fully-working and configured
IPv6 network at home; you're better off having the IPv6 field set in
mythtv-setup to blank (e.g. not in use)...

So long that the link-local box is checked in mythtv-setup -> general:
AirPlay will work fine, even using IPv6 (which is what iTunes will try
to use by default)