[mythtv-users] Mythtv frontend on PPC

Joann Bessler bessler at dccnet.com
Wed Oct 9 14:59:54 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-09, at 5:35 AM, OM Ugarcina wrote:

> I am looking for a bit of advice from the Mac gurus . I have just came into possession of an iMac G5 2.1Ghz 20 inch iSight computer. This is the last of the PPC machines ( I think ) and I have 2.5Gb of RAM in it and it's running Mac osx 10.5.8 . I was wandering if I could put mythfrontend in it , ideally .27 as I plan to upgrade my Linux backend/frontend combo to .27 shortly. Is it doable, my main use would be as a spare livetv set , watching live to air tv which here (AUS) is a pretty miserable SD quality since the addition of all those shopping channels. If I can not watch any of my 720p or 1080p films, it would not be a great disappointment, I have the main Telly for that .

I would suggest using the MacPorts route to Myth:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Building_Myth_for_Mac_with_MacPorts

I haven't updated to 0.27 yet, but that's the only way I can compile for my PPC. I can't speak to the quality of playback you'll get from your machine, but transcoding is always available.