[mythtv-users] Can't simultaneously record two programs with 3 (or 4) available tuners

Leif Pihl leif at pihl.us
Tue Oct 15 01:30:42 UTC 2013

On Oct 14, 2013, at 7:09 AM, George Nassas wrote:

> On 2013-10-13, at 11:10 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
>
>> the first tuner card is the Hauppage HVR-2250 (connected to CATV) and
>> the second tuner card is the Hauppage HVR-1800 (connected to Antenna).
>> I _DO_ have a subscription to "schedulesdirect.org", and
>> I am reasonably confident (but not certain) that I have the two inputs configured as well as the separate SchedulesDirect selections made for each card.
>
> Potentially dumb question here but how many capture cards do you have configured? It should be three: one for the 1800 and two for the 2250. You probably have it right but just checking.

I agree that the 1800 should have only one channel, but that's not technically correct.
In fact, SOMEWHERE in the settings, I've seen a list of FOUR tuners.
This is because the 1800 can tune in one analog and one digital tuner (not two of either, but one of each!).
As a result, I'd love to disable the analog tuner in the 1800, but I need to address the 1st, 2nd and 3rd things first, second and third.

As for the number of capture cards, I have two configured.
I thought that was all I needed to configure and/or that was all I COULD configure (I've forgotten who told me what).

> Also, how are you dealing with the inconsistent device names? Sometimes the kernel will "find" the 1800 first and make it video/adaptor 0 and give 1 & 2 to the 2250 while other times the 2250 will get 0 & 1 and the 1800 will be 2.

See settings that I've typed in below.

> The standard way to handle it with your hardware is to pass the 2250 driver an adapter_nr=7 option so its tuners will always be numbered 7 & 8 leaving 0 for the 1800 card.

I have a very vague recollection of "7" being assigned to the 2550.
However, I can't back that up right now, I recall that finding the information involved a "dmesg" command.

> I doubt this would deal with your simultaneous recording problem but it's good myth hygiene.
> Could you put a backend log file on pastebin or somewhere?

I don't know what you're talking about.
What's a "pastebin" ?

See also the second half of the other message where I reponded to message dated Oct 14, 2013, at 7:37 AM from Eric Sharkey.

> The BE is pretty chatty about tuner layout and inconsistencies and that could answer a lot of questions with minimal back and forth.
>
> - George

=====

Here is a selection of the settings from the MythTV Backend Setup...

1. General
   Local Backend
      IPv4 Address   192.168.0.200
      Master Backend   192.168.0.200

2. Capture Cards
   [ DVB:/dev/dub/adapter0/frontend0 ]
      Samsung S5H1409  QAM/8VSB  Frontend Subtype:  ATSC
         (used in the Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1800)
   [ DVB:/dev/dub/adapter1/frontend0 ]
      Samsung S5H1411  QAM/8VSB  Frontend Subtype:  ATSC
         (used in the Hauppage WinTV-HVR-2550)

4. Video Sources
   Broadcast
      Video Source Setup
         Data Direct Lineup:   Comcast-Cable-Cable-55406-MN22623:-      (was)
         Data Direct Lineup:   Comcast-Cable-Cable-55406-MN22623:-      (now is)
         Channel Frequency Table: us-bcast
   Cable
      Video Source Setup
         Data Direct Lineup:   Comcast-Cable-Cable-55406-MN22623:-
         Channel Frequency Table: us-cable

5. Input Connections
   [ DVB:/dev/dub/adapter0/frontend0 ]  ->  Broadcast
   [ DVB:/dev/dub/adapter1/frontend1 ]  ->  Cable

=====