[mythtv-users] Can't simultaneously record two programs with 3 (or 4) available tuners v2

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Oct 16 03:59:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
> Can you describe to me the steps that you think I've missed?

If you're not sure if you've done it or not, then you haven't done it.

A clear-QAM tuner on cable is probably the most difficult type of
tuner to configure.  Getting it set up right is really quite painful,
and maintaining it is nearly as bad.

There's some rather dated information about the process here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards

Actually, looking that page over, most of it is *so* dated it's
probably pretty much useless.  What's important is that you do the
channel scan in mythtv-setup, and then for each channel discovered
(that you care about) you make sure to set the correct virtual channel
number, callsign, and xmltvid.  The simplest way to do this is to go
through each discovered channel using LiveTV in the MythTV frontend,
figure out what channel you're actually watching, then press "e" and
edit the channel details, then repeat with the next channel, until all
channels are defined.

Given that Comcast is busy encrypting channels, if you do manage to
get this set up and working, it's likely to not be working for long.

Cable Card tuners don't need any of this since they can read the same
channel mapping table sent to cable set top boxes and mythtv can
control them by just sending the virtual channel number.

Eric