[mythtv-users] Mythtv frontend on PPC

O&M Ugarcina mo.ucina at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 11:12:35 UTC 2013

Hello Guys,

Just a quick update from me . I have got my Linux front/backend combo
over to myth .27 on the weekend thanks to Stephen C's excellent rpms .
And have been connecting with the iMac frontend , as it turned out the
iMac discovered the backend all by it self . All I needed to do was to
run set-up on the frontend and tweak some look and feel settings . Also
had to install Dejavu Sans font for the theme I use - did not notice
until I inspected the logs . Now that I have run it for a few days , my
experience so far is (my use case is watching livetv):

- In the beginning was stuttering audio and video , but turned out the
CPU was hitting 100% all the time , and NOT because of mythfrontend ,
but it was osx 10.5.8 Leopard issue syslogd and aslmanager . Between the
two of them they were using up all the CPU , myth did not get a look in
. So after I nobbled those two out of the picture , I could get back to
myth .
- At the moment I have set-up video playback profile to opengl-slim and
have one-filed(hw) and one-filed as primary and secondary deinterlacers
with de-blocking filter checked off . I also have separate playback for
video and GUI set both with iMac native resolution display size . Please
suggest other combinations of playback profile settings , which could be
more efficient and maintain best picture quality .
- The CPU load on the mythfrontend now sits at about 25 to 35% when
watching SD channels at 576i , but goes up to 65 to 85% when watching HD
at 1080i . Which gives a very good viewing experience with no drops or
stuttering of either video or audio, and that is what I was trying to
achieve .

Thanks for all the help

Best Regards
Milorad