[mythtv-users] diagnosing HDHome Run Prime zero byte recordings

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 01:45:12 UTC 2013

On 10/17/13 7:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Larry Roberts
>> <mythtv at american-hero.com> wrote:
>>> Something that "may" be interesting is that periodically in the logs since I
>>> rebooted the HDHRP I see this:
>>>
>>> 20131017-20:44:54 CableCARD: copy_protection/cp_valid_cnf timeout error
>>> (cchost_copy_protection:597)
>>> 20131017-20:44:54 CableCARD: technical error 53 (cchost_copy_protection:597)
>> From other reports, this is likely a bad CableCard.  First thing to
>> try, exchange it (and do the Validate dance with the cable company).
> btw, I do not recall if you said what MSO you are using.  Is
> it Time Warner?  There have been reports of "strangeness"
> of this type with Time Warner, especially on SA/Cisco
> headend systems, but since you have a Moto^H^H^H^HArris
> card, that would seem less likely.
>
> Gary

I'll not even go into the validation dance with Verizon. They ended up
replacing the card twice, then lied saying it validated.
But, I still get the "Card Activation None" on the status page.
Didn't gripe yet, as all of my channels, even my single premium, Epix, work.
The issue seems to be a disconnect between their customer service line
and network tech group, no easy communication between the two groups.
Once they do encrypt a channel where my HDHR Prime can't decode it
because of the activation, I'll make an FCC complaint, as well as a
customer service complaint about their charging me for services they're
not delivering to me via deception, etc.

Just for curiosity, how can I determine if a channel has any encryption
or which option enabled?