[mythtv-users] Solved: Re: HD-PVR not recognized in kernels later than 3.8.0-17?

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Mon Oct 21 19:52:04 UTC 2013

On 13-10-05 02:25 PM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:42:20 -0400
> From: Phil Linttell <phil.linttell at rogers.com>
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] HD-PVR not recognized in kernels later than
> 	3.8.0-17?
>
> I have a problem where my hdpvr devices don't appear in any stock Ubuntu
> release kernel since 3.8.0-17.  While the USB devices are recognized, as
> follows:

I discovered that my problem with the HD-PVRs not being seen with newer
kernels was (in some way) related to problems with grub2 (update-grub,
grub2-install, grub2-probe) etc. and booting from a degraded RAID-1 disk
array/mirror.

The main symptom is warnings, such as the following, on kernel rebuild
or other grub2-related activities:

    /usr/sbin/grub2-probe: warning: Couldn't find physical volume `(null)'.

The solution is either to (1) replace the failed disk and repair the
mirror, or (2) reduce the number of disks that mdadm thinks are in the
array (by "growing" the array from 2 to 1):

    mdadm /dev/md0 –grow –force -n1

Once the number of disks corresponds to the number of physical disks in
the array again, grub2 works normally. I can build/install a new kernel,
and the device nodes for my HD-PVRs show up again.

There's a discussion of the bug at:

    [bug #39527] grub2-install fails when 1-Disk RAID-1 array is present
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grub/2013-07/msg00025.html

Phil