[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a partition structure

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 21 21:15:51 UTC 2013

On 10/21/2013 03:18 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/21/2013 3:05 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> As to partitioning, I have partitions for '/', /home, /usr/local, and
>> /var. /var/lib/mysql and /var/www/html both actually symlink into
>> /home as /var cannot be guaranteed to remain across an install. I
>> separate /var to avoid the problem of a runaway process filling the
>> partition.
>
> Just as importantly, if you have a runaway log process, and your MySQL
> storage is on a different partition, it will not crash and have to be
> recovered when the partition is filled.

Exactly!  In fact, for even better 'prevention' the /home directory
should be the first partition on the disk, and have an easily remembered
size/number of partitions and put /usr/local next.

Then you can install/re-install without touching either of those
partitions and everything which is important is saved.

(Oh, rsync /etc into a subfolder of /usr/local/etc/: makes things even
easier to restart things).

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury