[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a partition structure

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Tue Oct 22 03:25:11 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> wrote:
> > Assuming this is the same issue that affected ext3, deletion of large
> files
> > could cause the entire system to stall. Preventing this possibility is
> the
> > purpose for the "slow delete" option in MythTV.
>
> which, when enabled, seems to solve the problem perfectly.
>
> In all the years of struggling to improve the WAF, I never once heard
> "I wish I could delete faster".
>
> Eric

Before I recently upgraded my storage I used JFS because it was good at
fast deletes, which was recommended for a myth system before the slow
delete option was implemented. But both JFS and XFS have one minor drawback
(could be major depending on your use case): they can't be shrunk. So with
my upgrade I switched to BTRFS. I thought I might use the brand-new RAID 5
function, but I played with it and discovered it's not nearly as easy or
featureful as mdadm, so I ended up going back to mdadm with a simple BTRFS
file system on top.

Karl