[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a partition structure

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 00:58:47 UTC 2013

Le mardi 22 octobre 2013, R. G. Newbury a écrit :

> THAT is a recipe for disaster. If you have one process go run-away and
> spam-fill your /var/log/messages or /var/lib/mysql logging folders you will
> NOT be able to recover. And as RW pointed out, that will also destroy your
> mysql database(s). I'm not  even sure that there is any way to recover from
> that sort of run-away without a complete re-install. All for 'an absolute
> minimum of partitions'.

Sure; 20 years ago that was the recommended approach...

Now with huge disks (even a 20GB SSD is huge by comparison to what fit was
back in the days) having a dedicated /var partition is just a plain pain in
the a***. Because that one will run out of space sooner or later.
Same with /tmp
And that is a nightmare to deal with...

Not even with FreeBSD do I bother to create that many partitions. Just one
big /

That's how most if not all Linux distribution installers do it too these
days...

A file system full won't destroy your database to a point that it's
unrecoverable...