James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed Oct 23 02:31:08 UTC 2013

On 23/10/2013, at 9:56 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

>> eg the suggestion earlier of a /boot partition ... for medieval bios' ... please give me a break - for younger folk who prodly never heard of the bios 1024 boot limit. Nevermind newer boards with EFI.
>
> It seems like in any age there are motherboards that can't quite
> handle booting from arbitrary spots on big disks, where big is defined
> by the time.  It doesn't matter if the disks were 40MB, 1GB, or 5TB.
> There are plenty of boards out there today that won't boot if the
> kernel ends up somewhere beyond the first 2TB.  Having a /boot
> partition is not that bad of an idea.

How about
20G for /				# Does not impact any modern or quasi modern motherboards
100G for /home		# whatever size suits you. Allows you to reinstall OS or upgrade without affecting your stuff
rest for /store			# a partition that myth can have and use or misuse to it's heart content

You may set partition types as your fancy dictates. You may use a flash drive in leau of the initial / partition (but I would keep it as a spare because it is a pain when writes to the flash start to fail just as your wife wants her MostImportantDocumentary recorded)
Look at mysql logging, if you leave it on then sql logs can take many Gb

If you use ssd then root partition should be much bigger than needed to give wear levelling a place to roam about.

James