[mythtv-users] Upgrade to Fedora 18 and remote won't work (prob a permission issue)

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 16:43:07 UTC 2013

Hi list,

I just upgraded to fedora 18.  My remote won't properly work.

I think I understand why, but do not know how to fix it.

I have the following in /etc/sysconfig/lirc
 LIRC_DRIVER="devinput"
LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/remote"

/dev/input/remote is a symlink created at boot that points to
/dev/input/remoteXX which is where my remote is.  Here, for example, it
points to /dev/input/event16

lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root     18 Oct 23 20:22 remote -> /dev/input/event16

and here are the permissions for event16:
crw-r-----.  1 root root 13, 80 Oct 23 20:21 event16

When I do cat /dev/input/event16 as root and press any button, I get
gibberish, which shows me that it is interpreting the key presses.
However, when I do that for mythtv user, I get the following:

[mythtv at localhost ~]$ cat /dev/input/remote
cat: /dev/input/remote: Permission denied

Anyway I can fix this?

As an aside, the way I create the symlink on boot each time is by calling
the following script from rc.local

#! /bin/bash
/bin/rm -f /dev/input/remote
/bin/ln -fs /dev/input/`cat /proc/bus/input/devices|grep -A 4
"Hauppauge"|grep event|cut -d ' ' -f3` /dev/input/remote
# restart lirc in case it is already running
/sbin/service lirc restart