[mythtv-users] Colon character in programme names

remort28 remort28 remort28 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 26 11:37:35 UTC 2013

Apologies if this has been addressed before but my searching
skills don't seem to be working that well today.

I am in the UK and using EIT to populate listings.  I am running mythtv
0.25.3+fixes.20130813.b5adf03-0ubuntu0mythbuntu2 on Ubuntu12.04.3 LTS.

I am having a problem with colons in programme names.  Up until now, this has been relatively easy
to deal with manually by keeping an eye on the 'upcoming recordings' tab in
MythWeb and deleting unwanted programmes.
Myth appears to split the programme name at the first colon and the bit
before is the 'Title' and the bit after is the ‘Subtitle' - at least this is
how it appears in MythWeb.

Can someone with more Myth expertise advise me on what I
might be able to do?

The issue has two impacts for me:

More and more programmes in the listings seem to be in the format
“New: Title of programme".  And it's
the "New:" bit that's causing the problem as, when selecting
programmes to record from the listings tab in MythWeb when I'd normally just
set up a new series record rule, I now get lots of things that I don't
want.  For example, say I want to record
"Sweat the Small Stuff" currently on BBC3.  This is actually listed as "New: Sweat
the Small Stuff".  If I click and
then say ‘record at any time on BBC3', I also get "New: Unsafe Sex in the City
“which is also broadcast on BBC3 and other BBC3 programmes beginning with
"New:" that I don't want either.

And the second impact is that I have a user job that
converts the programmes into mp4.  This
uses the Title field as the programme name(and appends the date to distinguish
between recordings of the same programme).
I get a lot of programmes called "New-2013-xx-xx.mp4" -so you
can't tell which file relates to the specific programme of interest as you can
imagine.

Is there some way of getting rid of the
"New:"?  Or getting Myth to
ignore the colons?  Or is there some
other approach?

I have other recordings where it's "New: The Railway:
First Great Western" - this shows as "New:" as the Title and
"The Railway: First Great Western" as the Subtitle.  In this case, what I want to get rid of is
the "New:" and if Myth breaks the remainder into "The Railway
“as Title and "First Great Western" as subtitle, that'd be fine -actually,
that'd be perfect as when the files converted into mp4, it’d be called
"The Railway-2013-xx-xx.mp4".

In addition, we are watching Strictly Come Dancing on
BBC1.  Until recently "Strictly Come
Dancing - It Takes Two" had a hyphen as I wrote there but after missing a
couple of recordings, I've noticed that it's changed to "Strictly Come
Dancing: It Takes Two" with colon instead.
In the first case the Title in MythWeb was "Strictly Come Dancing -
It Takes Two" but now the Title is "Strictly Come Dancing" and
subtitle is "It Takes Two".  In
this case, I'd like go back to how it was with the whole title in the Title
field.

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips.