[mythtv-users] lirc working fine but then stops after reboot and hangs

Paul Clark paul at aghast.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 18:47:38 UTC 2013

Hello everyone

This is really driving me mad.

I'm doing a fresh install of 12.04LTS with a 'sudo apt-get upgrade'
everything. At that point I install lirc and get it working fine. I have
the right hardware.conf and I can see all the key presses working fine
using irw. I'm using a Hauppauge PVR-150 card and the IR receiver/remote
that comes with that. Everything is fine. All is good with the world. I can
issue sudo service lirc restart and it works as expected.

Then randomly after a reboot everything stops. irw simply says connect: No
such file or directory. If I try to do anything with lirc, either 'sudo
service lirc stop' or 'sudo apt-get purge lirc' then the session hangs.
Nothing. Even reboots start to hang. All I get is a message on the screen
saying 'acpid: exiting Checking for running unattended-upgrades:'.

If I check the dmesg log I see a bunch of messages along the lines of:

Oct 28 22:13:32 borg kernel: [  240.756452] INFO: task lirc:1316 blocked
for more than 120 seconds.
Oct 28 22:13:32 borg kernel: [  240.756499] "echo 0 >
/proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
Oct 28 22:13:32 borg kernel: [  240.756547] lirc            D 00000000
0  1316      1 0x00000000

I have tried everything I can think of. I've had remotes working fine on
this machine before. For about 4 years this was my MythTV backend. I
decided to upgrade a week ago and have been solidly stuck on this issue. I
would greatly welcome any help anyone has.

Thanks, Paul