[mythtv-users] rpmfusion.org build of mythfrontend requires >2G just to start?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Oct 30 19:02:40 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 02:24 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> It is a virtual memory size.

I understand the difference between real and virtual memory.  I have
been working on Linux/Unix systems for over 25 years now.

> Last I looked,
> the virtual memory size was over 5GB,

Do you have any data to back that up?  My "livingroom" frontend here
isn't uing even 1GB of VM:

# grep Vm /proc/31761/status
VmPeak:	  829308 kB
VmSize:	  764480 kB
VmLck:	       0 kB
VmPin:	       0 kB
VmHWM:	  426272 kB
VmRSS:	  375240 kB
VmData:	  585120 kB
VmStk:	     288 kB
VmExe:	    2992 kB
VmLib:	  156660 kB
VmPTE:	     716 kB
VmSwap:	       0 kB

This is the same usage profile of the mythfrontend that wants more than
2G of the memory on my workstation without even having gotten started yet.

A lot of this is moot anyway.  My point was that the exact same
hardware, same VM ulimit configuration, etc. runs fine with Mythbuntu
but crashes with the rpmfusion.org builds.  What's the difference
between them?

> You may want to utilize cgroups to limit particular
> applications that are broken, rather than using a broad
> brush at the system level.

No.  On the contrary.  I want to, with a broad brush. apply a policy
that "no application gets more than half of my physical memory".  That
way things that are leaking memory get the boot before they get to
starve everything else out and giving the job of choosing which things
to kil off to the OOM processor -- which usualy does not choose as
wisely as I would -- like killing off the biggest leaking pig.

Only leaking applications ever run up into my VM limit.  Nothing else
ever does so my borad brush only seems to be effecting leaking pigs.

b.