[mythtv-users] mythfrontend with radeon driver

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Tue Sep 3 21:26:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 15:54 -0500, Dave Ulrick wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, HP-mini wrote:
>
> > The quality difference (with VDPAU) is related to the shader performance
> > of the video card (not the decoder).
> > So the "quality" capability is model dependent for nVidia & AMD.
> > It is possible that quality high normal & low are the same because the
> > shader code is not fully implemented.
> >
> > The shader code is the biggest challenge for any of the FOSS drivers.
> > It is possible the AMD card firmware is still being used.
>
> I mostly record standard definition 480i content off HDTV subchannels so
> the content has to be scaled from 480i to 1080p. I tried VDPAU Normal
> first but found the image to be rough so I then tried VDPAU High Quality.
> To my eyes, the latter looks noticably smoother compared with the former,
> similar to the difference I'd noticed between the Normal and High Quality
> profiles.
>
> > Which AMD video card model?
>
> $ lspci | grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
> Turks XT [Radeon HD 6670/7670]
>
> $ vdpauinfo
> display: :0   screen: 0
> API version: 1
> Information string: G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0
>

> Video mixer:
>
> feature name                    sup
> ------------------------------------
> DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL             -
> DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL     -
> INVERSE_TELECINE                 -
> NOISE_REDUCTION                  y
> SHARPNESS                        y
> LUMA_KEY                         -
> HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L1        -
> HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L2        -
> HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L3        -
> HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L4        -
> HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L5        -
> HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L6        -
> HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L7        -
> HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L8        -
> HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L9        -

No shader de-interlacing or scaling via VDPAU..
Unlike windows platform, I don't think non-VDPAU post-processing is
supported after VDPAU decode. So I don't know why VDPAU quality makes
any difference.

Your frontend logs with -v playback could explain..but don't bother
unless you are curious to know...