[mythtv-users] 0.27 experience...

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Sep 4 13:44:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 13:05:29 +0200, you wrote:

>2013/9/4 Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>
>
>> Andréas_Kühne wrote:
>> > Regarding commercial flagging, I don't think that should work at all.
>> The commercial
>> > flagging process is really fast and does (on my system at least) around
>> 80-90 fps.
>> > Which means that it is running 3-4 times faster than normal speed?
>>
>> What I believe is supposed to happen, is that the commflagging process
>> will block when it reaches the end of the file and wait for more data to
>> appear. Thus, if the system is fast enough, it will commflag in real-time
>> as the data comes in. This also means it can comflag without any extra disk
>> I/O - the data will be in the system cache and so doesn't ned to be read in
>> again.
>> I've never really paid much attention (I'm still on 0.24), but I have
>> commflagging set to start at start of recording it is "just works". I don't
>> have a very high power system though so even with a single low bitrate
>> recording going on, it struggles to handle real-time commflagging.
>>

>Didn't know that that was possible. I have a pretty highend backend system.
>I'll have to test this om my BE.
>
>Regards,
>
>Andréas

Yes, it works exactly like that for me in 0.26.  About a year ago, I
upgraded to a new motherboard, with a much faster processor and much
more RAM.  And since then, mythcommflag takes much less than one core
to do real-time flagging on DVB-T HD H.264 recordings and also on the
lower bit rate SD recordings from DVB-T and DVB-S.  Before the
upgrade, my dual core system could not do real-time flagging on one
recording - it took well over twice real-time, using both cores.

This is what I am running now:

  Motherboard: Asus M5A97 Evo
  CPU: AMD FX-4100 quad core 3.6 GHz
  RAM: 8 Gibytes DDR3 1866 MHz CL9-10-9

I have it set to run flagging on up to 4 recordings at once (one per
core), and when I was looking at the disk traffic, it did not increase
at all when running mythcommflag from the start of the recording
compared to not running it.