[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 17:39:27 UTC 2013

On 09/04/2013 12:05 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> I did the "sudo visudo" and inserted the appropriate line ala Wiki, now how
> do I close and save that? A simple "sudo visudo" has given me the same
> editor in the past and in closing it with the X top left corner I'm told a
> process is still running, or something to that effect, and I choose "close
> anyway" because I didn't really initiate anything. I'd like to, and will
> wait for instruction as to how-to, exit this "sudo visudo" properly this
> time.

First, don't close with the X in the top left. I believe the default editor
will have a list of choices at the bottom of the screen look for one that
allows quitting. Perhaps holding down the control key and pressing the
letter x on your keyboard.

Re:   sudo visudo -f /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv

I realllllllly suggest using the format I posted. The reason is
that tomorrow or years from now, the package maintainer (someone
who releases changes for *buntu in your case) may change the
/etc/sudoers file. This would likely happen during an upgrade to
14.04. At that time, you (and I) may have completely forgotten
about the addition to that file and idle shutdown would begin
failing if the package maintainer's version is accepted.

> And here is the paste bin:  http://paste.ubuntu.com/6063354/

Excellent log file. See lines 1819-1828.

The backend is ready to shutdown, however, when it runs the
/usr/bin/checklogin.sh  command that you chose to use,
it fails. I don't use that command, however, I suspect it's
failing because you're logged in.

I'd also suggest that a command like that is one that should
be customized for your specific use.

And, I'll also assume that the checklogin.sh command is cut and
pasted from the Wiki.

It's designed to keep your system from shutting down while
you're logged into it.

Maybe you just need to logout. Failing that, use mythtv-setup,
and remove the command.

Remember to re-apply the ... --setverbose command if you need to keep
troubleshooting this if the backend has restarted.

--
Bill