[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 19:11:24 UTC 2013

On 09/04/2013 01:13 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> I am following, all the way. I removed from the README ; pasted your
> command into the terminal, used ctrl+x to which it asked if I wanted to
> save ; to which I typed Y ; and now I have this screen:
>    GNU nano 2.2.6         File: /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv.tmp
>   Modified
>
> %mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh

> File Name to Write: /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv.tmp
>
> ^G Get Help         M-D DOS Format      M-A Append          M-B Backup File
> ^C Cancel           M-M Mac Format      M-P Prepend
>
> and I have no idea where to go from here

When that editor presents you with a file, it automatically appends
the ".tmp" portion. Just remove it - probably backspacing.  If you're
uncomfortable, just try editing a file such as /tmp/justTesting, save
it and edit it again. When you're comfortable, apply your new knowledge
to /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv.

> I have done little tests; setting a recording in the near future, then
> logging out or shutting down, and upon these failures I have deemed it not
> working. Am I not giving it enough time to react? Which should I use
> shutting down or logging out?  Which command?

Remember that there is an option to prevent idle shutdown if a recording is
coming up. I don't know what value you chose.

Make sure your "setting a recording in the near future" is greater than that
value. I use 10 minutes, but it's completely up to you.

Logging out, may work. Shutting down will absolutely *not* work. In order
for scheduled wakeup to work, you must let the backend set the clock and
shutdown your host.

And, don't forget, you can look in your backend's log file for clues. As
well as using the mythshutdown -c command discussed earlier.

You're getting very close to a working solution.

--
Bill