[mythtv-users] Python Bindings - Snooping MythTV System Events

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 12:21:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> You'll need to subclass it and have the _neweventconn method use a level
> of 3, which it is not currently set up to do.  Note that this is really
> only intended for debugging and developmental purposes.  I only wrote it in
> the first place so I could watch what events fired at different times to
> figure out how to use them.  Also note that System Events are unlike most
> other BACKEND_MESSAGES in that it only gets sent to one application per
> host.  If you already have another MythTV application listening from that
> host, you'll need to get your script to report a different profile name, by
> feeding it a different config.xml with a custom LocalHostName.

Thanks Raymond.

With some very rudimentary  code I am now getting all System Events.

I have tried to research a little about 'feeing' the script a different
config.xml.  As it stands, I have a config.xml in my ~/.mythtv directory,
but this isn't the one that is being used by my script in anyway.  How can
I force the script to use a different LocalHostName?

Cheers,
Whytey