[mythtv-users] Acer KWR113201 remote control

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Sep 6 15:52:32 UTC 2013

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 07:56:16 -0700, you wrote:

>On 09/06/2013 04:21 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 21:49:59 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>> I was given an Acer KWR113201 remote control, one side is laid out in
>>> the MCE fashion while the other side is a QWERTY keyboard.
>>>
>>> I did several searches, I could determine how the QWERTY portion
>>> functions. I cannot see any IR transmitted when I press the buttons.
>>>
>>> Anyone else get this working with LIRC or X?
>> Does it come with its own IR receiver?  I could not see any IR
>> receiver advertised with the ones I saw on the first couple of pages
>> of a Google search.  So what IR receiver are you using it with?
>>
>> Does it work with the non-QWERTY keys?
>I do not know if it had it's own receiver, I was only given the remote.
>
>I have an MCE-USB type receiver and I can see the IR LED on that receive
>illuminate when I press buttons on the non-QWERTY side so I believe I
>can get that side working.

Ok, then you need to get a table of the codes to load into lirc and/or
ir-keytable.  I did a quick google and could not find any existing
tables out there so you probably need to create one by learning the
remote's keys.  For lirc, I believe that irrecord will do that for
you, but I have never had to use it so I can not advise how easy that
is.

How is the IR receiver set up?  What OS are you running?  What is in
the lirc hardware.conf file?  What driver is creating the lirc device?

You might like to grep the dmesg or kern.log files for "IR" and "lirc"
and "remote" and see what information that provides about your driver
setup.

And you might like to take a look at this page, which gives the basics
of how remotes work with modern kernels:

 http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_Customization

It does not cover learning a new remote though.