[mythtv-users] Turn on my TV via HDMI when MythTV starts

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Sep 9 09:53:25 UTC 2013

On 08/09/13 23:46, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 9/8/2013 6:07 PM, Monkey Pet wrote:
>> Hi all, I have a mac mini mythfrontend running ubuntu.  I was wondering
>> if when mac mini is powered on, it can turn on my TV and switch the TV's
>> input automatically using the HDMI link?  I have seen my bluray player
>> on this.  When my bluray is switched on, it automatically turns my TV
>> on, then switches the input magically.  Can something in Linux be used
>> to do this also?
>
> This requires CEC, and so far, there are very few options for speaking CEC
> protocol within Linux. If typical graphics cards even support that wire, there's
> nothing programmed for it in the Linux drivers.
>
> Take a look at...
> http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx

This may be a TV thing. I know that under certain circumstances, my TV will
switch inputs if it detects a signal on a previously cold HDMI line, such as
when the DVD player is turned on.

There may be a menu item on your TV to switch inputs when an input source goes
active. It may be a general item or buried in the settings for each source (and
on mine, only appears when the source is selected and active!).

--

Mike Perkins