[mythtv-users] No More Free DTAs From Comcast

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Sep 10 20:14:27 UTC 2013

Called Comcast to make a change to my account here in the San Francisco
Bay Area and discovered that as of a month ago they started charging
$1.99 a month for my two DTAs. These used to be the two free DTA's you
got as part of the digital transition. The very nice lady I spoke to
said it was because people were throwing away their DTAs thinking they
weren't worth anything. But then another gentleman I spoke to said you
can still get a free DTA if you are on the very lowest end cable
package. Okay, so if you upgrade to a higher package they charge you
*more* for other stuff.

Anyway I knew that any kind of implied "free access" Comcast might have
given to the FCC was going to go away at some point. I guess today is
the day.