[mythtv-users] Fwd: Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 12 04:38:13 UTC 2013

>>> I believe I have narrowed this down to an issue with my hardware, or my
>>> MythTV setup and have been wasting my time chasing signal issues.  I have a
>>> thread on Silicon Dust's site (much is duplicated here, but here is the link
>>> if you are bored:
>>> http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=15543) and a member
>>> of their team was assisting me.  It appears that the HDHR Prime is getting
>>> perfect signal, and the video in both my desktop (Windows MCE) and VLC (HDHR
>>> GUI in Linux on my frontend) are pristine with zero audio dropouts or video
>>> pixelation when watched simultaneously.
>>>
>>> Now I am not sure where to go from here. In looking at the performance data
>>> in vSphere, I am not seeing anything that may cause this. This is a pretty
>>> decent machine, i5 3570K (overclocked to 4 ghz, though I don't know that
>>> ESXi is respecting this), 16GB of RAM. I have 4 CPU cores and 12GB of RAM
>>> provisioned to the Myth Backend server and I am not doing anything else with
>>> it, so I can't imagine it is a performance issue with anything other than
>>> the storage, which is all in the same box and carved up as VMDKs by ESXi.
>>>
>>> I have a few routes I can go here; first, I could use a separate spindle for
>>> just my recordings (right now it is being shared with a Windows Server data
>>> share that sees fairly little i/o). Second, I could pop in a 60gb SSD I have
>>> laying around and write some recordings to that to see if it makes a
>>> difference.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?  I really don't want to build another box and turn it into
>>> a NAS, though that's probably my best bet...  I have enough money sunk into
>>> this at this point.
>> I hate to say this... but this is the exact reason why running the
>> backend on a VM is only recommended by those that have done it
>> successfully for themselves, and not by anyone who actually has had to
>> try and resolve an issue with one.
>>
>> You should have plenty of horsepower to actually play the stream on
>> your backend in VLC, at least then you could determine if it is an
>> issue with the data coming into the backend, or the the IO with the
>> disk.
>>
>> Next, you might try shutting down the Windows VM (and any others),
>> just to remove them from the equation.
>>
>> If you suspect a network IO issue, rather than disk (seeing pixelation
>> playing the stream in vlc), you might add a network card and dedicate
>> it to the backend VM.
>>
>> If you suspect disk IO (stream plays fine in vlc),  I would first
>> ensure that your recording drives are formatted using advanced format
>> (4k sectors) and that they are properly aligned.  Misalignment can
>> cause a VERY significant impact to write speeds (
>> http://hothardware.com/Articles/WDs-1TB-Caviar-Green-w-Advanced-Format-Windows-XP-Users-Pay-Attention/?page=2).
>>  Next, you might try changing the filesystem your using, EXT4 is a
>> pretty safe bet; just to see if it makes any difference.  Finally, you
> [...]

Indeed.  I'm not even sure that ESX would support fake raid
controllers, but if it does it shouldn't.... and you definitely
shouldn't be using it.  In fact, I would eliminate any RAID
whatsoever, if that's part of your build.

One other thing I didn't think of... your not using dynamic virtual
disks as recording drives are you... you did assign each of your
recording drives, as entire drives, to the backend VM?