[mythtv-users] Partition resizing gone wrong - All storage groups gone (on the same partition)

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Thu Sep 12 21:02:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> Resizing partitions with data in them is always hazardous - if you
> value the data, you need to back it up first.  Which is always a
> problem with recordings, as they are usually huge files and need a
> huge drive to backup to.
>
> What I would recommend is when creating a recording partition, use a
> separate drive and set the partition to use the entire drive, or at
> least all remaining space on the drive.  And then never resize it.

I've had previous success moving and resizing partitions before, mainly in
Windows but also with Linux filesystems, and I think it gave me a false
sense of security.  The next time I attempt something like this, if I ever
attempt it at all, I'll just back up the data beforehand, then just format
the newly sized partitions and transfer the files back.  This time, I was
lazy and I told myself it didn't matter that much.  I had seen almost all
of the videos and really only lost one that I didn't see.  It was really
only about 200 GB of files, all standard definition, and most of the reason
they were large in size is because the majority were recorded in all their
grainy glory with my aging PVR-500.  So, I'm fortunate.  It could have been
much worse.

I did have to deal with mythbackend and the missing files, but fortunately
Raymond's find_orphans.py script helped me out of the woods.  I don't see
any issues yet.

I successfully recorded a show last night, and live tv seems to be working
for me as well as it did before.

Thanks for the advice.  I knew I was taking a risk when I clicked the
button, but I really should have taken an hour or so to move all those
files off beforehand.