[mythtv-users] non-printable character in CC track from Handbrake

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 13:08:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list at zoho.com> wrote:

> Thanks Jim. What did you use to see the rectangle outline with a
> question mark in it? MythTV is the only place I've seen my rectangle.
> I've looked at the log file in emacs, vi, and in the console, but each
> of those seem to have performed the backspace operation instead of
> displaying a symbol representing the backspace. I also tried creating
> a hex dump using xxd, but that doesn't show the backspace either.

This rectangle/question character was seen only in the mythfrontend OSD
captions.  To experiment, I took an existing recording/video with a .srt
file (in my case, an HD-PVR recording with a .srt file created using
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Captions_with_HD-PVR), edited the .srt file in
emacs, and manually added weird characters like \r, ^H, ^?, etc. to the
ends of lines.  Whitespace characters like \r were stripped as expected,
but other special characters became the question-mark-inside-rectangle
symbol.  This is with the FreeMono font.  Notably, the ^H backspace
character did seem to erase characters in the log output.

Jim