[mythtv-users] Is anyone using the Ceton PCIe quad?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Sep 16 20:39:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> Does it work? How does it work?
>
> It is a measurably worse approach than the Ethernet tuners?
>
> I'm on Bright House St Pete, which I believe is 256-QUAM, with the channels
> I care about in the clear.

If all the channels you care about are in the clear, you can get a
tuner which doesn't support decryption at lower cost than a cable card
tuner.  It saves not only the cost of the tuner itself, but also the
rental fee for the cable card.

The only advantage to the cable card is that it doesn't require
mapping the channels the way a clear-QAM tuner does, so it's somewhat
easier to set up and maintain.

Eric