[mythtv-users] Live TV Guide Stutter

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 17 14:01:51 UTC 2013

On 09/17/2013 09:51 AM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> For each channel of the guide displayed on the screen,
> GuideGrid::updateChannels() is determining whether that channel is
> available for tuning so that the theme can display the channel in a
> different font, presumably so the user knows whether they can switch to
> that channel.
>
> The patch in the ticket is a nice proof of concept, but I don't think
> that's how the stuttering problem should be solved.  A better approach is
> to offload queries like this into a helper thread which later communicates
> the changes to the UI thread.  Even better, create a QEvent that
> periodically polls for the query result and updates the UI elements upon
> completion, which avoids extra threads and synchronization.

Agreed.  Caching the free recorders list assumes that no new recordings
will start, nor new Live TV sessions (on other frontends), nor channel
changes in Live TV (on other frontends).  The caching patch mostly
removes the benefit of the feature, except for the simplest of setups.
And, after years of supporting multi-frontend/-backend setups (one of
the main benefits of MythTV over other DVR solutions), we really should
continue to consider, and fully support, them.

Mike