[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Sep 18 17:05:20 UTC 2013

On 18 Sep 2013, at 17:16, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

>>> What is the current best de-interlacer for high motion (sports)
>>
>> I'd have to say it's picking up a $5 wrench and repeatedly hitting
>> whoever it was decided it should be interlaced in the first place.
>
> Agreed!  They should have done away with interlaced with all HD
> formats, there was no technical reason to keep it.

Only really worked with CRTs and there were only ever a handful of HD CRTs, long gone by the time anyone much had adopted HD. I guess it's down to how long it took HD to establish, back in '88 when I was shown around the Eureka HD truck, interlacing was reasonable, 40' colour HDTV LCDs were science fiction, although so was transmitting HDTV before mpeg.

>  Served it's
> purpose in the early days of analog television, but was moot with the
> invention of better phosphors
>
>> I generally settle for less than best.
>
> Best is subjective anyway.  I have a hard time deciding if I like
> feeding my TV a 1080p deinterlaced signal, or a a native 1080i signal
> and letting the TV handle it.. the results are almost identical.

There are ways to measure and after seeing a few broadcast monitors it's quick and easy to see the problems, that said people's vision varies greatly so perception of the problems is varied.