[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Sep 18 19:08:47 UTC 2013

On 09/18/2013 01:00 PM, Andre Newman wrote:

> On 18 Sep 2013, at 16:57, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 6:12 AM, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>>> What is the current best de-interlacer for high motion (sports)
>>
>> I'd have to say it's picking up a $5 wrench and repeatedly hitting
>> whoever it was decided it should be interlaced in the first place.
>
> I'm doing my best with my clients but it's really joe public who mucked things up by mumbling 1080 is bigger than 720 so mus' be better!?
>
> There were people at my previous motor sports employer who said that 1080i looked better because it looked more like SD when panned, 720p looked too clean!?!
>
> There are many many people in Television standards bodies who have said quietly into their beer that 1080i was a big mistake. 720p for broadcast, 1080p for bluray would have been great and lovely.

I dunno.  A broadcast HD channel here last year went from 1080i60 to
720p30 without me realizing the change was coming.  The very next hockey
game I watched I immediately noticed the picture looked crappy.  I
assumed somehow the game had inadvertently been transcoded by myth, but
no, I discovered the channel had changed format.

1080 has 2.25 times the resolution of 720 and it really makes a big
difference.  Count me as one who would prefer a well-deinterlaced 1080i
game to a 720p one.

Jeff