[mythtv-users] tmdb grabber switch to v3

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 14:15:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 19 September 2013 23:00, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is timely, as I just realized last night (when attempting to grab
> > metadata for a movie added to the Video Library) that the v2.1 api no
> longer
> > worked on my 0.24-fixes production system.  As I'm not quite ready yet to
> > install 0.27, is it possible for me to just install the latest tmdb3
> > stand-alone?  If so, I'm unclear how that's would be down.  Perusing
> github,
> > I saw that there is a 'setup.py'.  Would I just need to put the binding
> > files in the proper python place and run that?
>
> or... just a silly idea: what about upgrading to the latest version of
> mythtv: version 0.27 instead of running a version long past end of
> life?

Sigh..."I'm not quite ready yet to install 0.27".  I asked an honest
question.  I do realize the developers get this kind of thing from more
than a few ignorant end users (similar to the feature requests without
patches for "special" cases etc).

I'll lay this out again (not that anyone would remember I have before on
the list).  I'm a Gentoo user, and part of the reason I haven't upgraded
past 0.24 was that Gentoo ebuilds were less than fully supported when 0.25
came around.  I was using the github MythTV overlay, but that was abandoned
for various (understandable) reasons, and official portage suport was
non-existent.  That's not blame, just reality--I did not have a valid
upgrade path for a while, and 0.24 just worked for me.  Because my Myth
boxes are dedicated (appliance like), I haven't kept up with official
portage updates, so my existing portage snapshop is very old.  The
dependency updates after a portage refresh will likely cause a cascade of
things to break and/or need tweaking (it's happened to me before).  I will
likely be starting fresh in a new (rsync'd copy) root (chroot) partition
when I do install 0.27, but that will require me to either (1) sift through
the breakage that results, or (2) install from a clean stage 3 tarball and
recreate all of my /etc files.  And I have multiple frontends to
reconfigure as well--they share the portage snapshot from the backend, but
have unique local root partitions.

So I'm wondering if it's possible simply to install tmdb v3 to my system as
is, as that's going to be far less time consuming if possible than the
alternative.  If it's not possible, fine.  I just don't know enough about
the Python bindings, as they have always been taken care of by the Gentoo
ebuild.  I've learned from watching the development cycle the past almost
10 years that I'm better off waiting a month or 2 for the dust to settle on
a new release and then getting the latest from the -fixes branch.