[mythtv-users] mythv 0.27 test packages (future RPM Fusion)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 16:12:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Looking at that now...
> >
> >  # ll image_cache/
> > total 0
>
> The question is not whether any directly currently has
> content, but if the mythweb application *could* write to them.

True, but this is a fairly well used installation, so it's worth evaluating
if the directory can be removed.

> If one trusts the mythweb installation instructions (and
> one likely should), the recommendation is to install in
> /var/www/html/, and then change ownership, writability
> to the .../data/ directory which would "address" the
> ownership and write-ability issues.

Per the guidelines[1] /usr/share is preferred, though presumably that's
intended for static data... It also mentions not using /var/www because 1)
user may already have data there, and 2) it's not part of FHS anymore.

> If you are going to review the php code to determine
> what writes where (or where it could write), or change
> the spec file to create the files in /var/www/html rather
> than in /usr/share/mythweb I will back off now (that is
> the work I was going to review as a first step).

Since the recommendation for mythweb is to run with SELinux off, I'm
starting to like the idea of symbolic links to somewhere in /var or
/var/cache for writable stuff.

Richard

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines?rd=Packaging/Guidelines#Web_Applications