[mythtv-users] No More Free DTAs From Comcast

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Sat Sep 21 04:24:01 UTC 2013

On 9/20/2013 9:09 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 9/13/2013 6:26 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
>>

>> Interesting. It sounds like you may have a unique situation. Let us
>> know what happens with the second CableCard. Maybe I'll call Comcast
>> and ask what their policy is on that.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Karl
>>

> So I got my second Prime on Thursday. Went down to the Comcast office
> and picked up a second CableCard. The lady said the price dropped from
> $1.10 to $1.00. Whee!
>
> Now I asked her again and again about the HD Programming fee. I asked
> her to make sure it wasn't added to my bill when she added the second
> card to my account. I asked her several times. She swore by all that
> Comcast holds holy that it wasn't.
>
> Wait, that's not much of a promise. I'll have to see what happens on
> my next bill.
>
> Anyway, I got the Prime attached to my network this evening and the
> card activated. I should get it configured in Myth tomorrow and say a
> sorrowful goodby to my classic HDHRs. Actually, it'll be a project to
> get my mono-directional digital antenna up into my attic and see if I
> can receive any OTA channels from Sutro tower in San Francisco some 25
> miles away.

Oh, and for those activating a CableCard or needing tech support for a
CableCard (I had one die on me), here's a magic unpublished number:
877-405-2298. This number used to be on the support page on the card
itself. Now they just have the generic Comcast number where you have to
wade through the phone tree before finally getting to support. This
number *used* to be specifically for CableCards but now it just puts you
*immediately* into a tech support queue. I'm fine with that. I had to
call twice on the new card and they both were fine knowing about
activating the card.