[mythtv-users] Blue screen of death. [1st of 2 questions]

Leif Pihl leif at pihl.us
Sat Sep 21 05:25:09 UTC 2013

Below contain responses to:
Eric Sharkey  [Sep 19, 2013, at 1:10 PM]
mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk  [September 19, 2013 3:25:41 PM CDT]
Eric Sharkey (again)  [Sep 19, 2013, at 1:10 PM]
and
Raymond Wagner  [September 19, 2013 12:20:02 PM CDT] :

=====

On Sep 19, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
>> BTW, I did not mean to imply that the blue screen (with clouds) was a Linux thing.
>> I'm reasonably sure it has to do with some MythTV setting, or lack there of.
>
> If it's true that "No key our mouse click combination I've been able
> to think of will get the MythBuntu box out of it's corner and
> communicate with me.", then it's either a Linux thing or you can't
> think of very much.
>
> Does your keyboard have numlock/capslock LEDs?  When on this blue
> screen, do they toggle state when you push the numlock/capslock
> buttons?

The "Blue Screen" came back.

> Did you try ctrl-alt-F1?

Yea, that worked.  I was able to get into the command line mode, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 got me back into the graphics mode, such as it was, with the Blue Screen.

> ctrl-alt-delete?

No effect.

> Alt-PrintScreen-b?

This worked, and did end up rebooting the machine.
I'll have to remember this combination, so I don't have to go all the way downstairs to turn the machine off, wait and restart it.

=====

On Sep 19, 2013, at 3:25 PM, mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> Quoting Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us>:
>>
>> Raymond Wagner:
>> If the blue screen should re-appear, AND I take a picture of it, should I post the image to this list-server?
>
> Can you view this file?: /usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter-wide/ui/background.png

Haven't had a chance to check on this just yet.

=====

On Sep 19, 2013, at 4:10 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM,  <mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> It sounds like this is the blue screen with three clouds. If so it means
>> that the mythfrontend is starting up and creating the main window but is
>> locking up before drawing anything.
>
> If he's seeing it after a long period of idle time, it's not "starting up".
>
> In any case, as far as fixing it goes, I'd first recommend upgrading.
> 0.25 is now officially end of life, with 0.27 being the current
> released version.  It's probably best to upgrade to 0.27, then attack
> the problem if it still remains.
>
> Eric

Yea, I thought about that, and I'm leery of doing so just yet; I need to know more before I feel comfortable doing so.

First off, I've never done a major upgrade before, only some smaller "packets" (for lack of the correct phrase).

Second, when I did some of what I'll call "packet" upgrades in the past, it crashed my machine, and I had to do a full install from CD.

Third, I don't want to change my MythBuntu system into a Ubuntu system with MythTV, and I'm not sure just what doing the normal upgrade path will do.

=====

Raymond:
I did take picture(s), and will attempt to attach 1 or 2 to this E-mail.
Wether or not the mail server will forward the images, that I can't speculate on.

I managed to get the "during" and "after" shots, and a thought just occurred to me.
I'm seeing the same three white "Clouds" in the background of the MythTV menu that has "Media Library" at the top.
I _THOUGHT_ that the two images were just the same image, reproduced in two different modes of MythTV.
I'm now wondering if instead this is in part a malfunction of the HDTV itself.
i.e.: The MythTV could be producing the blue screen, but the three clouds _MAY_ be a manufacturing defect that was only noticeable when this particular blue screen is splashed up on the display.

.
.
To fit under the 40KB limit, the below images are scaled down to 7.5% of the original (and cropped) images.