[mythtv-users] Suspend to RAM almost working, but not quite

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 21 16:51:17 UTC 2013

On 09/21/2013 02:18 AM, Enno Middelberg wrote:
> Hello,
>

> still trying to get suspend to RAM working on my combined FE/BE with
> Mythtv 0.26 (Debian-based). My DVB card doesn't like suspend, so for
> suspend I have to stop both the frontend and backend, then unload the
> module (ddbridge) and then suspend. Doing this by hand works fine, and
> after wakeup everything works again.
>
> However, I believe there is a deadlock when doing this automagically:
> mythbackend decides it wants to suspend, and calls pm-suspend, which
> then calls /etc/pm/sleep.d/6767_stop_mythtv_rmmod_ddbridge, which
> executes a
>
> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
> rmmod ddbridge
>
> and this script (I think) waits for the backend to stop, which never
> happens because pm-suspend has been called by the backend...
>
> Several people seem to have encountered this situation and provided
> solutions (eg, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Lwoggardner), but they
> all used the upstart system (ie, a Ubuntu derivative), which I am not
> using.
>
> So what to do? Essentially I need mythback to terminate itself so it
> frees the DVB driver, which I can then unload and suspend the machine.
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Enno

How about just letting the system shut down? My experience is it takes
only some 30 seconds to start up again and it is cleaner, the system
gets to run its periodic disk checks and anything that is hanging is
cleared out. A wakeup script that uses /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
works perfectly and boots the system 5 minutes before the next recording.

Peter