[mythtv-users] 1/2 OT: MySQL with more than one tmpdir

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Sep 22 15:42:28 UTC 2013

On 9/22/2013 11:20 AM, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> Then
> I want to create a tmpfs and want to use it for the tmpdir to speed up
> MySQL a bit. But I have another large database, where 8GB would be too
> small.

MySQL doesn't store the whole database inside temporary tables. They are
only used for certain types of internal processing, or in queries that
specify the creation of a temporary table. Just because your database is
over 8GB does not mean you actually need 8GB of temporary storage for
it. You may need more. You will likely need much less.

Temporary tables are only flushed to disk when they exceed the
configured in-memory limit of the MySQL server. Rather than creating
temporary storage out of memory, why not just let MySQL use more memory
directly?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/server-system-variables.html#sysvar_tmp_table_size