[mythtv-users] NVidia/overscan problem

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Sep 23 19:38:39 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jay Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com>

> Hee. I actually already have a modeline in an xorg.conf fragment file
> (SuSE uses the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d approach), but it seems to be
> being ignored. It looks like this:
>
> [ goes to copy it in to the email. notices the file's been overwritten
> by something. oops ]
>
> It was the stanza that's in this message:
>
> http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/mythtvnz/2007-January/001812.html
>
> and I put it in 50-monitor.conf, where it isn't anymore.
>
> Well, that might be why it wasn't taking effect.

Well.  How embarassing.

Didn't look at my prompt; my ssh session had fallen over by accident, and
I was looking at X on my laptop.

Here's that stanza I added to 50-monitor.conf, which appears to be being
ignored by autoconfigure:

Section "Modes"
    Identifier         "TV-WideScreen-Modes"

    # 1368x768 @ 60Hz
    ModeLine "1368x768" 85.5 1360 1424 1536 1792 768 771 776
794 -hsync -vsync

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

        Identifier      "LCDTV"
        VendorName      "Philips"
        ModelName       "Philips 32PF7321 LCD TV"

        HorizSync       30.0 - 70.0
        VertRefresh     48.0 - 62.0

        UseModes        "TV-WideScreen-Modes"

        Option          "UseEdidDpi" "false"
        DisplaySize     697 392

        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

In addition, a very sharp guy in Philips tech support department tells
me that the HDMI on that TV should not be bidirectional; if X is picking
1080i, then it's doing it on its own, not cause the set's telling it
to.

So perhaps the log is wrong, or I'm misreading it, and it is in 720p...
though that wouldn't explain why small text seems even less readable in
X than it did with the S-video connection on the other card, and also
less so than in text mode.

Cheers,
-- jra