[mythtv-users] Dumb to "Upgrade"... Re: Program Schedules: working or not? How to (re)configure?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 04:30:30 UTC 2013

On 9/24/13 11:26 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:
> On Sep 24, 2013, at 9:02 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
>>> Huh.  Cntrl-Printscreen-B has  ZERO  effect.
>> I'm losing my memory.
>>
>> It's alt-printscreen-b, not control-printscreen-b which will reboot the system.
>>
>> Eric
> oh.
> Well, the "head kick" did the trick.
> Rebooted, watched my show,
> THEN checked Ubuntu Control Panel, to see if it wanted to add any more updates.
>
> THEN went into Update Manager.
> It said something to the effect of:
>    NOT ALL UPDATES CAN BE INSTALLED   (my caps, it used boldface)
>    To run a partial update... yada yada yada....
> Then two buttons:  Partial Upgrade  and  Close
>
> The other screen showed the fourteen upgrades; here's a list, including my typos and shorthand
> Note that the "v: is a checked box and a "_" is an unchecked box:
>
> [v]  Python wrapper around the OpenSSL library
> [v]  Other updates (LP-PPA-mythbuntu-xmltv)   <<== Boldface
> [v]  Perl libraries related to the SM....
> [v]  Functionality related to the SM...
> [v]  Graphical user interface related to the SMLTV....
> [v]  Ulilities reelated to the SMLTV file format for TV listing
> [v]  Other updates (LP-PPS-mythbuntu-testing)
> [v]  Mythbuntu Bare Client
> [v]  Mythbuntu diagnostic utility
> [v]  Other updates (LP-PPA-mythbuntu-0.27)     <<==  Boldface
> [v]  A python library to access some MythTV features
> [v]  A PERL Library to access some MythTV features
> [_]  Image gallery/slideshow add-on module for MythTV
> [_]  Music add-on module for MythTV
> [v]  Personal video recorder application (client and server)
> [_]  Personal video recorder application (server)
> [v]  Metapackage to setup and configure a "Master Backend" profile of MythTV
> [_]  Personal video recorder application (common data)
> [v]  Personal video recorder application (database)
> [_]  Persoanl video recorder application (client)
> [v]  The Mythbuntu MythTV Theme
> [_]  Utilities used for transcodeing MythTV tasks
> [_]  Web interface add-on module for MythTV
> [v]  PHP Bindings for MythTV
>

> I did _NOT_ click either one of the buttons:   [Upgrade}  and  [Close],
> as of this writing, it's just sitting there waiting.
>

> Comments?
>

> p.s.:
> BTW, I _DID_ get into the Backend settings and unclick the "EIT".
> I also ran the database filler (can't remember the name), the schedule data STILL looks below-par.

I "rent" my "free" lookups and it takes a long time for the schedule to
come down.
I'd also run the additional updates, lest a mixed version update bite
you in the ass.

I started with Mythbuntu 12.04, upgraded from 0.25 to 0.26, then shortly
to 0.27 as the fixes were more rapid due to the development plan, which
looks rather good.
I've had hiccups in each version, ranging from mythweb not able to play
a video (present with 0.26 fixes until I went 0.27) to mobilemyth giving
me an error that I have yet to explore due to time constraints.

The simple question is, do you want a mythtv new version recorder
talking to your older version backend?
Small hint, only if you like to masturbate with a cheese grater. Both
are fraught with somewhat equal peril.
One, with a shredded member, the mythtv not recording isn't very good
either in your family entertainment center situation.

For those who object to the colorful language, such teach the audience
in a way that won't be forgotten. I've used Sea Monkeys as a metaphor
for those learning water petrification, erm, purification via chlorine,
IV administration to infantry via different off color metaphor, more
goes on as one teaches.
The idea is the undesirability of mixed versions.

With that, I sign off for the night.