[mythtv-users] Dumb to "Upgrade"... Re: Program Schedules: working or not? How to (re)configure?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 25 13:22:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Stephen P. Villano
<stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:
> The simple question is, do you want a mythtv new version recorder
> talking to your older version backend?
> Small hint, only if you like to masturbate with a cheese grater. Both
> are fraught with somewhat equal peril.

Uh, ok.  I don't have any direct experience with that particular use
of a cheese grater, but usually mixing mythtv frontend/backend
versions is a very binary experience.  Either the versions are close
(e.g. using official 0.27 on the backend, with a 0.27-rc1 frontend)
and everything pretty much just works, or the versions are not close
and the frontend will tell you there's a version mismatch and refuse
to do anything.

Generally, if you've got a heterogeneous network (e.g. MythBuntu for
your backend, Fedora or even Windows for a frontend) you won't have
the exact same build of mythtv running on the backend and frontend and
that's ok.

Eric