[mythtv-users] Program Schedules: working or not? How to (re)configure?

Leif Pihl leif at pihl.us
Wed Sep 25 20:31:38 UTC 2013

below.

On Sep 25, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
>> Whenever the Front End starts up, I get this message:
>>   Could not connect to master backend
>>   MythContext
>>   Could not connect to the master backend server.  Is it
>>   running?  Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-setup
>>   correct?
>>
>> This occurs when it starts from a entire system restart as well as
>> immediately after I've been in the Backend Setup program.   And yea, the IP
>> address is set to something like 127.0.0.1
>
> I would guess it's probably not running.
>
> Sometimes you'll see this on boot up if stuff starts out of order.  If
> you're able to start X and get the frontend up in less time than it
> takes the backend to start, you'll see this message briefly, but then
> it will connect up, usually within a few seconds.
>
> If you're seeing it after using mythtv-setup, it usually means you
> shut the backend down before running setup (which you're always
> supposed to do) but forgot to restart it after exiting mythtv-setup.
>
> You should always see it in your process list if it's running:
>
> mythtered% ps uax | grep backend
> mythtv   13335  5.0  1.9 7166900 155896 ?      Ssl  Sep19 433:04
> /usr/bin/mythbackend --daemon --syslog local6 --pidfile
> /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid
> sharkey  31316  0.0  0.0   8056   904 pts/0    S+   15:48   0:00 grep backend
> mythtered%
>

> Eric

.

ES:

Your words seem very straight forward, but I'm still not following several things...

[1]   How do I _JUST_ get the BackEnd started?

The only times I've ever before been able to start it is when exiting the BackEnd Setup program, and it asks me if I want to start the Backend  (duh, yea!)

[2]   Are you referring to some program in particular, like the old X-window thing I heard of years ago, or when you say "X", are you using it as a generic variable?

[3]   How do I...   "see it in the process list" ???
Do I use verbatim the first line that you quoted:
   " mythtered% ps uax | grep backend " ???

LP