[mythtv-users] Program Schedules: working or not? How to (re)configure?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 25 20:52:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
> [1]   How do I _JUST_ get the BackEnd started?

Typically its:

  /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

but this may vary by distribution.

> [2]   Are you referring to some program in particular, like the old X-window thing I heard of years ago, or when you say "X", are you using it as a generic variable?

That old X-window thing.  You're using it any time you run Linux with
a graphical user interface (with a few exceptions).

> [3]   How do I...   "see it in the process list" ???
> Do I use verbatim the first line that you quoted:
>    " mythtered% ps uax | grep backend " ???

mythtered is the name of my mythtv backend box.  My wife picked the
name, showing her sense of humor.  The part up to and including the %
is just my command line prompt.

ps is a unix command which prints the current process table.  "uax"
are options to ps to get it to show all the processes.  grep is a
command which filters its input based on a pattern.  The pipe
character | feeds the output of the command on its left side into the
input of the command on its right side.  Put it all together and it
prints the process info of any process with "backend" in its name.

Eric