[mythtv-users] Program Schedules: working or not? How to (re)configure?

Leif Pihl leif at pihl.us
Wed Sep 25 21:44:02 UTC 2013

below

On Sep 25, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:
> I feel like I'm drinking from a firehose.
>

> On Sep 25, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
>>> [1]   How do I _JUST_ get the BackEnd started?
>>
>> Typically its:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
>>
>> but this may vary by distribution.
>>
>>> [2]   Are you referring to some program in particular, like the old X-window thing I heard of years ago, or when you say "X", are you using it as a generic variable?
>>
>> That old X-window thing.  You're using it any time you run Linux with
>> a graphical user interface (with a few exceptions).
>>
>>> [3]   How do I...   "see it in the process list" ???
>>> Do I use verbatim the first line that you quoted:
>>>  " mythtered% ps uax | grep backend " ???
>>
>> mythtered is the name of my mythtv backend box.  My wife picked the
>> name, showing her sense of humor.  The part up to and including the %
>> is just my command line prompt.
>>
>> ps is a unix command which prints the current process table.  "uax"
>> are options to ps to get it to show all the processes.  grep is a
>> command which filters its input based on a pattern.  The pipe
>> character | feeds the output of the command on its left side into the
>> input of the command on its right side.  Put it all together and it
>> prints the process info of any process with "backend" in its name.
>>
>> Eric

Well, I used a "kludge" method to start the backend.
I restarted the backend settings application, then exited it and clicked the button to restart the backend.

I waited, and waited, then restarted the frontend application...

(insert drumroll sound)

and YUP...   The same error message appears:

>>>  Could not connect to master backend
>>>  MythContext
>>>  Could not connect to the master backend server.  Is it
>>>  running?  Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-setup
>>>  correct?

I'll try to re-read the 3:52pm message_s_  from Eric Sharkey  and  Stephen P. Villano,
but right now, I just do not see a fix.

Should I assign the static IP of 192.168.0.200 in the BackEnd Settings?
   (FFI, see my posting from 1:44pm.)

LP
.