[mythtv-users] mythweb issue: data directory is not writable by apache. Please check permissions.data directory is not writable by apache. Please check permissions.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 14:43:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:18 AM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running fedora 17 on the new system

I presume you are aware that that version of Fedora is
no longer supported, right?  With Fedora, once you
get on the bus, be prepared to transfer to a newer
bus regularly as the old one is parked in the vehicle
recycle lot.

> One issue I am
> having is with mythweb.  I can't seem to view anything.  When I do, I get
> this error:
>
> Error
>
> data directory is not writable by apache. Please check permissions.
>

> However, it appears that everything is owned by apache (although I seem to
> remember on my older system, the user was www-data or wwwdata and most of
> mythweb was in /var/www/html).

I am guessing you are running with SELinux enabled.  If you
do a 'ls -Z' you are likely to see that that location is (properly,
from an architectural POV) protected.  /usr/share/ should
not be writable by apache (only readable).

There is work in progress for the RPMFusion packages to
both move that cache/data directly to an architecturally
valid writable location, and to create appropriate SELinux
policies.  Until that is complete (and btw, it seems likely
that those packages will only be available for "supported"
versions of Fedora), you have a couple of choices.  The
sledge hammer approach would be to set SELinux to
permissive (or disabled).  One could also chose to change
the SELinux context for those files (but be aware that a
system wide relabel will undo your work).  A better
approach would be to manually reorganize and rebuild
mythweb to locate the files in a different location not
currently controlled by SELinux, and setting the
appropriate permissions there.

Gary