[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 22:01:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> But with proprietary a format meaning your array may not be portable to a
> new controller should it fail...

All the "high end" RAID controllers save the needed configuration
data on the drives themselves in such a way that the array can
be imported to another controller (from the same manufacturer in
the same basic line of RAID controllers).  Vendor lock in, of course,
but reasonable (for them) given their target audience.

Note that Raymond is (likely) using FreeBSD and ZFS (if you
really care about your data, you run ZFS), and ZFS really works
best with raw access to the drives in systems that are (likely)
affordable to most (sure, if you can afford a nice EMC or NetApp
NAS, things are different).  That LSI 9201 controller is sweet.

Gary