[mythtv-users] mythweb issue: data directory is not writable by apache. Please check permissions.data directory is not writable by apache. Please check permissions.

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Sep 26 22:06:54 UTC 2013

On 26/09/13 22:12, John Morris wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 14:18 -0400, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
>
>> That's why I went with Ubuntu. 12.04 is supported until 4/2017.
>> Next LTS looks to be for around 4/2014, to judge by the previous release
>> history. Let the dust settle and the next LTS version mature, I can
>> upgrade by the final quarter of 2014.
>
> Assuming Myth keeps supporting that version.  That is my problem.  I'm
> stuck on 0.25 because I need to upgrade Debian 6 and deal with the GNOME
> 3 problem first.  And of course after a full distro upgrade you get to
> deal with NVidia drivers, making sure sound through the HDMI port is
> still working right, LIRC still works, etc.   And after all that I can
> upgrade Myth.  Can't recall a problem upgrading Myth though, that part
> usually just works.
>
> Problem is finding a long enough service window where there isn't a
> house full of grandkids, the Mrs. isn't watching/recording anything and
> I don't have a more important project that has to get done.

Upgraded from Debian squeeze/mythtv 0.24 to wheezy/mythtv 0.26 a few months ago
now, including migrating from a minimyth front end to a whole new box. Went like
a dream, took me all of a morning. Went from a VGA/stereo feed to HDMI; worked
without any problems, YMMV. Pulling the nvidia drivers is ridiculously easy too.
Instructions here:

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Mind you, the backend box does not have X at all so no worries about Gnome 3
there. For the front end, like all my other boxes, I have gone with LXDE as it
is similar enough to Gnome 2 to use easily and involves much less designer cruft.

--

Mike Perkins