[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Sep 27 01:37:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> But with proprietary a format meaning your array may not be portable to a
> new controller should it fail... That was the strongest reason for me to
> choose the well-supported mdadm soft RAID.

I also find that pure software raid solutions are easier to monitor.
The operating system is fully aware of what the state of the raid is
and you generally don't have to power down to reboot to access some
card's bios or use some proprietary software package that may not be
supported for some OS or other.  It's also more flexible.  I've
configure some systems with two raided drives where one partition in
each drive were combined in a RAID-0 and another partition per drive
were combined in a RAID-1.  It's a rare hardware card that can do that
sort of thing.

Years ago, keeping the raid calculations off the main CPU seemed more
important than it does today with modern 8 - 16 core processors.

Eric