[mythtv-users] Moving from linhes (knoppmyth)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 30 14:19:43 UTC 2013

On 09/30/2013 10:13 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:26:03 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I have run a linhes install for ages, used to be knoppmyth.
>> But it seems to be getting a bit behind the times and I find it a bit of
>> a pain to modify, it is more of an appliance....
>>
>> I want to keep my existing info  in the DB but move to a 'real' mythtv
>> install.
>> It's a combined FE/BE.
>> I can have a a play, but has anyone else done this before.
>> I think, linhes if off at the moment that I am on 0.24-fixes (maybe
>> 0.25) version.
>> I think download and install a 0.24-fixes on a raw Linux and restore the
>> DB from linhes, then I should be able to upgrade to 0.27???
>>
>> Or probably update linhes to the latest which is 0.26 (I think, that is
>> one of things that is hard to find out in linhes)
> You can just do a new install of 0.27 on your new distro, restore your
> existing 0.24 database, and it will be upgraded automatically to 0.27.
> It is best to do the upgrade by running mythtv-setup, rather than
> letting mythbackend startup and do it.  Before the upgrade happens,
> the existing (newly restored) database will be automatically backed up
> (which can take a while if yours is huge like mine).  Just wait for
> the prompts to do the upgrade to appear.
>
> I have done clean installs like this with new Mythbuntu versions
> several times and it all went smoothly.

Yes, and I highly recommend using the official backup/restore scripts to
complete the process.  If you use mysqldump directly, you may well
create a backup that corrupts the schema on restore (there are certain
command line arguments that must be used and others that can't be used,
and the official backup script uses the right arguments, and the restore
script checks to ensure everything will work correctly before restoring
to make sure the process works properly).

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore (mainly the
first and second section) for info about doing the backup and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database
for info on doing the restore.

Mike