[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: RF blaster

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 20:15:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> But, getting back to the topic of this thread (or at least closer to
> it),

Actually, we are mostly OT from the original topic regarding
a specific STB and supported channel changing.  I presume
what you mean to say is to get back on the topic you are
interested in :-)

> the question is whether or not there can be effective control
> over a STB over IP.

Of course there can be.  The question is not what can be
done, but what will be done.  I do not recall(*) any requirement
that channel changing needs to be an authenticated/encrypted
path (only that any protected content must be transported on
a protected path).  However, I can see fun and games where
someone decides to change the channel on someone else
watching the "big game" just as the final seconds count down
begins.  The heidi bowl all over again.

Gary

(*) Many of the DLNA specs are available only behind a
pay wall (which I do not have access through; and those
that do are under NDA).  I can only go by what few public
documents I have seen, and indirect references from other
documents.